SENIOR/DISABLED/NEED TRANSPORTATION DURING AN EVACUATION?
Annual Registration through 2-1-1
KEEP ON-HAND (in ziplock bags and ready to go):
EVACUATION ROUTES &/OR ROAD CLOSURES www.txdot.gov 1-800-452-9292
Please remember that most of Houston is not in the evacuation plain. Do not get on the road unless your area has been requested to evacuate. Mass evacuation of areas that aren't in these zones were the cause for all of the bottle-necks in past disasters. However, if you wish to leave after a storm, this is a resource to find out the status of highways in your area.
SUPPLIES NEEDED (check status of last year's supplies):
- Water, one gallon of water per person per day for at least three days, for drinking and sanitation
- Food, at least a three-day supply of non-perishable food
- Battery-powered or hand crank radio and a NOAA Weather Radio with tone alert and extra batteries for both
- Flashlight and extra batteries
- irst aid kit
- Whistle to signal for help
- Moist towelettes, garbage bags and plastic ties for personal sanitation
- Basic Tool Kit
- Manual can opener for food
- Cell phone
- Back up chargers for computer or cell phone
- Full gas tank
- Good windshield wipers
- Dust mask to help filter contaminated air and plastic sheeting and duct tape to shelter-in-place
- Inverter, solar charger, or generator
- If possible, place extra water bottles in the freezer
- Clear lawn furniture, windchimes, etc from the yard and store in the garage.
- Taping windows is ineffective, don't waste your time.
WHAT DO I DO AFTER A DISASTER?
IF YOU ARE IN NEED OF RESCUE, PLEASE CALL 9-1-1.
REPORT YOUR DAMAGES TO 3-1-1
We are here for anyone in SW Houston or the Jewish Community after a disaster, be it fire, flood, hurricane or tornado. Please call our main line: 713-667-9336 and ask for a Disaster Case Manager. JFS can provide:
- Emergency Funding Assistance
- Volunteers to help go through your home with you to sort what will be kept and what should be trashed.
- Volunteers to help you pack
- Contact info for non-profit agencies that may be able to help (muck & gut following water damage; cut down damaged trees; tarp roofs; kosher meals; clothing...)
- Emotional support
- Case Management to help you to recovery and rebuild
If you are outside of our area, we can connect you with other agencies that provide case management in your area.