Part Time Volunteer Coordinator
(approximately 25 hours/wk)
The Volunteer Coordinator is responsible for recruiting, managing and recognizing volunteers to support the needs of JFS staff as well as clients. The jobs created should provide meaningful opportunities for volunteers to connect (or affiliate) with the agency in order to grow our support system and allow the agency to do all that we can do for the community.
Duties & Responsibilities:
- Work with staff to determine needs and then find volunteers to fill those positions efficiently.
- Promote the Volunteer program to gain community support using social media (via collaboration with Social Media staff), attendance at community functions and other networking skills.
- Implement effective strategies to recruit volunteers that fit the current needs.
- Manage an intake and interview protocol for potential volunteers to ensure the best match with respect to skills, qualifications, and interests of the volunteers and the agency’s needs.
Training & Management
- Train staff to work effectively and cooperatively with volunteers.
- Orient the volunteers to increase their understanding of the agency, clients, services and their roles and responsibilities.
- Implement all training needed for volunteers to become successful in their duties.
- Ensure that the volunteers follow timekeeping procedures
- Assist with conflict management between volunteers/clients/staff with the assistance of the Manager.
- Identify assignments that provide meaningful work for volunteers and create job descriptions in consultation with staff.
- Maintain a system of organization for jobs and applications, preferably through the use of electronic media storage.
- Maintain or improve record keeping systems, including but not limited to database profile creation and entry, timekeeping, and annual HIPAA training and exams.
- Implement a volunteer recognition program as well as recognition at the Annual Meeting each January.
- Conduct ongoing evaluation of volunteer system to recommend and implement improvements.
- Be familiar with best practices regarding volunteer systems based upon CIMA Volunteer Insurance to best protect both the agency and the volunteers.
- Administer, review, and modify policies and procedures which guide the volunteer program and reflect the overall values of the agency.
- Participate in local volunteer training as approved by Manager.
- Previous experience as a Volunteer Team Staff member is welcomed.
- College degree preferred.
- Experience and comfort with Raiser’s Edge or a similar database.
- Excellent writing skills.
- Strong customer service experience is a must.
- Must be proficient with MS Office:
- Experience setting up complex spreadsheets with formulas and make them print ready.
- Experience merging documents.
- Ability to create a power point presentation.
- Experience with Adobe products is beneficial.
- Must understand or be willing to learn about CIMA Volunteer insurance to best protect both the agency and the volunteers.
- Must be comfortable working with a team and taking guidance.
- Must be comfortable with redeployment or termination of volunteers.
- Must be able to flex their hours to support the agency’s needs, especially during events and natural disasters.
- Must be willing to do other tasks as assigned.
This job will traditionally take place during the normal work day; however, there will be occasions when early morning, evening and/or Sunday hours are required. Onsite work is required. This position will share an office space with at least one other staff member.
Please send your letter of interest and resume by September 16th to: Lynae Novominsky (LNovominsky@jfshouston.org)