JFS's role after a local disaster is to assist those who are impacted with long-term recovery case management. Partnering with other community groups who offer rescue and early stage relief, those who need more longer-term assistance can then work with JFS to navigate the journey to stabilization and recovery.
Experience has shown that there is typically a three to five year recovery for families whose lives were turned upside down by this type of event. JFS reminds those impacted that even after a family is resettled and furniture is replaced, family relationships, financial stability and a sense of personal security may still need to be addressed to complete a full recovery.
Case management services are underwritten by United Way of Greater Houston, The Harry and Jeanette Weinberg Foundation and the Jewish Federation of Greater Houston.
Disaster Recovery Services Offered:
- Providing case management to navigate families from recovery to resettlement
- Providing resources to locate temporary or long-term housing, furnishings and other immediate needs
- Providing immediate short-term financial aid
- Navigation of FEMA application and insurance benefits
- Providing access to volunteers to clients to help with packing and unpacking, cleaning, sorting through items, documenting losses
- Coordinating with local and national volunteer groups to "muck out" homes
- Providing counseling and support group services for children and adults
- Assist our clients (who have completed the intake process) with resources to get into temporary or long-term housing
- Assist our clients with resources/donations/discounted furnishings to make their current living conditions more comfortable
For any questions please contact Morgan Zeringue, Manager of Disaster Services.
JFS is immensely grateful for the major funding provided by the following funders to support staffing, give financial aid and offer counseling at no cost for Harvey Flood clients.
The Jewish Federation of Greater Houston
United Way of Greater Houston
Hurricane Harvey Relief Fund
Chabad Harvey Relief
The Harry and Jeanette Weinberg Foundation
The Jake and Nina Kamin Foundation
Jewish Federations of North America
Martha Kaplan Freedman and Donald Freedman
Anonymous Family Foundation
The Rebuild Texas Fund
Credible Behavioral Health, Inc.
and thank you to the hundreds of foundations, families, individuals and organizations that have provided resources to JFS to care for Harvey flood clients.
To schedule counseling appointments, please call (713) 667-9336 and identify yourself as a flood survivor.
Steps You Should Take to Get a Fair Insurance Claims Payment After Hurricanes Harvey and Irma
Disaster Survivors Checklist
FEMA ABC's of Returning to Flooded Buildings
Individuals and Households Program Unified Guidance
What to Expect After You Apply for FEMA Aid
Hurricane Harvey: How We Can Help You
Click Here for a Text Only Version
After the Storms: A Resource Guide to Help You Get Back On Your Feet
Flood Mortgage Info
HCOHSEM Harvey Recovery Guide
HCRDDA Hotline Debris Collection Information and Instructions
Insurance Suggestions for After Disaster
Sources for Emergency DME
JFS Houston Disaster Satellite Locations